Wednesday 29 May 2013

Chelsea Flower Show



Last week, respite was sought and found from lectures with an evening visit to the exalted Chelsea Flower Show! This was my first visit here, and it was frankly dashed good fun. Nervous of the expected crowds we gingerly edged in to the grounds of the Royal Hospital after dinner at a nearby hostelry, and fortunately with the threat of wet weather hovering in the skies above we were quietly pleased to see hundreds of tired faces leaving in their droves. The rain failed to materialise, so we enjoyed a relatively quiet evening poking about the place and drinking in the pomp of this famous flower show. Although the show gardens are generally a bit too modern for my tastes, the monies involved put these design eggs at the coal face of experimentation, so it is always worth keeping an eye on what they get up! Happily, the theme this year seemed to be wildflowers and naturalistic planting, so there was inspiration to be had in all corners. I hope to return next year!
 
Strange golden baubles but very pleasant planting in Walkers’ Pine Cottage Garden

The Una Garreg garden showed a glorious level of detail, with plants creeping onto the paths and moss amongst the cracks


‘A Hebridean Weaver’s Garden’ was one of the most enjoyable sights of the show!

The cotton grass glory of Eriophorum angustifolium

Oriental mayhem in the Tokonoma Garden

Angelica archangelica, and the East Village Garden

The floriferous grids of the Telegraph Garden

Chris Beardshaw’s amazing garden for Arthritis Research UK!

Aside from a somewhat unfortunate rusty circle, this was the show garden that I enjoyed the most; the M&G Centenary Garden as designed by Roger Platts

More of this wonderful garden

The marquee displays provided no end of joy, this Allium, Nectaroscordum and Eremurus display was by Devine Nurseries, Yorkshire
 

7 comments:

Jane Aston said...

Lovely views, I love that little Hebridean weaver's cottage too. I'm not a fan of big blocks of cut stone or anything too harsh. I have been watching the coverage of the show on TV. I'd love to go. I lived in Malvern so I've been there but it's often very stormy and I want all the plants. It always feels very expensive with the entrance fees. Still looking from France it's hell of a show.

Diana Studer said...

I hadn't seen the weaver's garden. Hard to imagine they can build all that, instantly.

Anonymous said...

This is as close as I will ever be at the show but it's a wonderful glimpse and your narration is perfect. Thank you for sharing this.

gardenenvy said...

These are beautiful photos, thanks for sharing. One day I would love to attend one Chelsea show! Jeannine

Anonymous said...

I agree, the Rogers Platt garden is dreamy - such rich and vibrant colors!

Bertie Bainbridge said...

Greetings all!
Shame about that rusty circle.

Anonymous said...

What Ho Bertie. I'm not sure if you remember me but I used to write a blog called The Sundial Garden. My blog has moved now as I'm concentrating on my writing (http://hatpaintladdersandwonkypooh.wordpress.com).Do not fear, I have not given up the gardening. IN fact my Dad studied at Kew a long time ago now and so I have a strong gardening influence in my family!

I'm launching my second murder mystery novelette 'One For The Rook' at the end of October. It features a mystery solving milliner named Blake Hetherington. One For The Rook is a murder mystery based on an allotment and I'm looking for people to review it. I know your probably up to your neck in studies at the mo, but if you were interesting in reviewing it on Amazon for me I'd be happy to send you a PDF copy via e-mail.

Hope you're having a great time, I look forward to following your adventures at Kew!!